Friday, February 9, 2007

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - More 31 Days of Oscar


The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Another one I'd never seen. Especially weird since I was raised by a Bogart fan. But I can see Mom not being to keen on this one, cause it's hardly the African Queen or Casablanca. What it is, though, is the classic gold fever tale. Bogart starts out desperate, a beggar, but finding money doesn't solve his problems, it drives him crazy. He knocks it out of the park, but doesn't deliver the best performance of the film. That honor belongs to Walter Huston. I'm not sure I've ever seen him in anything before, but he was excellent. Totally believable as an old prospector type without being cartoonish. Tim Holt, however, kinda sucked. But I liked the story, even if it's now cliche, and the look of the film was very cool (not surprising from John Huston, who gave us The Maltese Falcon, among others).

And now I finally get the "Walter Huston dance" joke from City Slickers 2. But more importantly, I've seen the source of that whole "we don't need no stinking badge(r)s" thing from Blazing Saddles and UHF.

Up next, TCM-wise, is The Last Picture Show, I think. But first I have to knock out some TV and check out Idiocracy, which arrived from Netflix yesterday.


No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro