Wednesday, March 14, 2007

From Netflix: Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny was released in late 2006 to a resounding yawn from just about everyone, including me. To put this in perspective, I own the DVD of their hilarious HBO series, I bought their debut album, and even saw them in concert. But somewhere along the line, I lost interest in what they were doing next. Maybe it's that the joke that they're a couple of wannabes playing to empty crowds doesn't really work when Jack Black's starring in King Kong and Nacho Libre, or maybe there's only so much mileage you can squeeze out of the Tenacious D concept, I don't know. But after letting it come and go in theatres, I thought it was at least worth a viewing.

In the end, though, it was about what I expected. Nearly all the songs were new, and not as good as their old stuff. I thought they might recycle more of the songs from the show that didn't make it on the first album (Sasquatch, Jesus Ranch), but the only classic D song that made it in was The History of Tenacious D (which was nice to hear, but I didn't especially like their performance this time). They had some funny moments and Jack Black and Kyle Gass are comfortable in the roles and do all they can, but there just isn't much to work with.

The one thing this really had going for it (besides that poster... pretty cool, huh?) was star power. John C. Reilly reprises his role from the TV series as the Sasquatch, Tim Robbins has probably the best part in the movie as a cripple, Ben Stiller, Amy Poehler, Meat Loaf, Dave Grohl, Fred Armison, and the great Ronnie James Dio all make appearances. And on top of that, the deleted scenes include cameos from David Koechner, David Krumholtz, and Jason Segel.

But like I said, not much to work with. If you're unfamiliar with the D, which I guess is hard to do now, I'd recommend the TV series over The Pick of Destiny any day. But for everyone else, I'd only recommend this to the most hard core of Tenacious D fanatics.

No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro