Friday, February 23, 2007

Prizzi's Honor - More 31 Days of Oscar

Prizzi's Honor

I checked out The Treasure of the Sierra Madre early on in the 31 Days of Oscar on TCM, and now I check in on another John Huston film. This one, much much later in Houston's career, tells the story of a mafia hitman who falls in love with a hitwoman, and, predictably, they end up gunning for each other. Jack Nicholson and Kathleen Turner star - Nicholson is predictably good, but I never cared for Kathleen Turner. She got all these femme fatale roles in the 80's, but I could never figure out how people could fall for her, she always seemed kind of mannish. Maybe it was the voice, I'm not sure.

In any case, the movie has the feel of a dark mafia comedy, like Analyze This, but without any real laughs. I'm not even sure if it was inteneded to be funny, it just had something about it that seemed too lighthearted to be serious. Plus, they had a few actors like William Hickey, who I tend to think of as only being in comedies (like his recurring role as the annoying old guy in Wings). But again, I never found anything particularly funny.

Overall, I was kind of bored. They had Jack Nicholson and a semi-surprising ending, but not much else going for it.

No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro