Monday, February 19, 2007

Monday Night TV

Highlight for spoilers:

  • Prison Break: Interesting to see the warden back, though I'm not sure I buy that quick a turnaround. I had no idea Ixtapa was in Zihuatanejo (or possibly the other way around), probably a Shawshank Redemption reference that fanboys spotted a year go. The smoking doctor... I mean, I'm sure free clinics are crappy, but that seemed over the top. But you do feel sympathetic for C-Note. But on the topic of sympathy, I didn't really need that T-Bag flashback sequence. I like him better as just crazy with no real explanation. Sometimes the bad guys are better off bad. Sarah screwing over Kellerman was kinda funny. But how telegraphed was the warden letting Schofield out of the deal? Really I liked this one. I've mostly just been sticking with it because the first season was good and I wanted to see it end, but this was a pretty exciting episode.
  • Heroes: Putting a scene before the previouslies was kinda cool. And I know that wireless actress from something. But there's so much crossover, I have no idea how to compose my thoughts in any way other than a random list:
    • I've enjoyed the "maybe Claire's dad is evil, maybe he isn't" thing, and him giving Isaac a gun is great in that it works both ways (kill him cause he's a good guy or kill him to save the world?).

    • Sylar was doing a great job selling Mohinder on how helpful he was, but the creepy "I can feel them"/destiny speech was a pretty bad idea on that front. And I have no idea how he's supposed to cover the fact that every powered person they meet gets killed by Sylar.

    • Holy crap, when Peter gets cornered he turns into Superman.

    • I had no idea Parkman's wife was played by an Aussie actress, but the second she got upset her accent became obvious.

    • Has Stan Lee ever had a cameo that wasn't "hey, look at me!"

    • But that went from lame to awesome in a heartbeat, with Parkman, Nuke-boy, and wireless chick showing up at the Bennett's, and the confrontation between Isaac and Peter.
  • Studio 60: When Matt said Samuel Taylor Coleridge I thought Rime of the Ancient Mariner was his most famous. "Water, water, everywhere but not a drop to drink"? That's pretty famous. And Jordan's practice baby was totally ripped off of Newsradio, when Joe gave Lisa an electric infant as a wedding present. "When you're practicing nursing, don't put it on high." As usual, the best moments come when Timothy Busfield is on screen... the baby beheading was hilarious. Also, aren't all paramecia single-celled?


    At first I was weirded out at Matt's reaction to the concept of guys discussing how they wanted to have sex with Harriet, cause that's just how guys tend to operate. It was obviously inappropriate to do at work especially in front of a woman, but not shockingly so. But then yeah, the church-themed debauchery was pretty wrong.

    Sounds like this might be it for Studio 60. Not a great ending point, not a great show. If they've got anymore episodes in the can, I hope they show up over the summer or online or something. As frustrating as it's been, I still keep feeling like there's something there.
On the Tivo: Everybody Hates Chris.

Wow, Blades of Glory. That looks awful and hilarious.

2 comments:

TheDeedsTechShow said...

from what I hear, the original plan was to have Ted and Sylar take the house hostage, with Ted assuming Sylar was like him and a "good guy".

But now they got this meh storyline with Mohinder and Zane. Sylar cant keep it a secret much longer. Why doesnt he just ask to see a list or something of all the mutants, memorize it (he has Charlie's power), then kill Mohinder?

Bill said...

Yeah, I'm hoping the Zane thing goes somewhere quickly, or it'll start to look stupid.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro